If you are a Canadian employer and you wish to have additional workers, you may opt to hire a temporary worker or a full-time skilled worker and help them process their permanent residency in Canada. As an employer, you may hire an international worker equipped with the skills to meet your labour shortage temporarily. The following conditions are taken into consideration to make an employer eligible to hire or recruit an international worker:
- You have not been able to find a suitable Canadian or permanent resident in Canada.
- You are sure that hiring a temporary foreign worker will not affect the labour market or will leave other Canadians jobless due to hiring a foreign worker.
- You meet all necessary requirements and other set conditions in hiring a temporary foreign worker.
To properly guide you, here are the steps on how you can recruit an international foreign worker:
- Know whether the job will require the worker to have a Canada Labour Market Opinion (LMO). Some jobs don’t require an LMO.
- If you found out the job will require the worker to apply for an LMO, the application has to be submitted to Service Canada. Once the LMO has been approved, you will need to send important documents to the foreign worker to attach to their application for a work permit. Some of the documents you need to send are confirmation of the LMO and the detailed job offer with the duties and responsibilities he/she will be handling, educational requirements, skills, experiences and other credentials needed for the job. The duration of the contract needs to be clear and precise. The salary offer also needs to be provided. Do not forget to attach your contact information and the address where the foreign worker will be working.
- Make sure that the international worker completes the work permit application so that the application can be processed and evaluated.
- Once these steps are completed and the worker has been proven eligible, the Canada Border Services Agency will send the work permit.
As an employer you can help a temporary worker gain a permanent residence visa in Canada. Doing so, you will make someone’s dream come true as giving them the chance to work with you will increase their living standards.